Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Salamat

What does salamat mean? Thank you, but regardless of what language you speak, I believe the sentiment can be felt even if the word isn't understood. So I realized I have so much to be thankful for - this realization came as we needed to get our car fixed. Our warranty on our brakes was up, we put 17K miles on a 12K mile warranty, but it had not quite been a year. My mechanic graciously made a super fair deal with me - We pay for the part and he will cut the labor costs. Saved us a bundle! Annnnd he went around back to grab something, so I took a gander at the receipt - I saw all sorts of crossed out totals and his chicken scratchings on how much to charge us - we paid less than all the estimates he had made - and I found out why after snooping some more - he charged us what HE pays for parts (customer prices for parts are normally increased by about 50%) so we paid half of what we should have for parts and he did it all for free. I was sooo thankful, I tried to tip him, but he declined and said he was just grateful for our business. I have never met a more honest mechanic, I am grateful for his honest personality and I recommend him to anyone - Ray's Campus American Car Care Center right next to BYU.

I am grateful for the silly things in life that make me smile:
-The cool frozen water droplets on the walkways
-Heater and defroster in my car
-Daniel making fun of my silly inventions (ps. I was going to become a millionaire with this idea I just had - alas I googled it and you would never guess who makes a prototype of my idea - of course CHINA)
-Taco Soup (can you tell what we had for dinner?)
-The pretty snowflakes falling outside my work window (and so we can ski at Alta for free :)
-Dreaming (I am currently dreaming of my future - whatever that may be - as long as I'm with Daniel I can conquer anything!)
-Friends and Family
-The Gospel
-CHOCOLATE
-slipper boots
and I could go on forever ...

So what are you thankful for at this moment? Never cease to be thankful! Have a good laugh at yourself and enjoy the journey. Thanks for reading and thanks for being you! Aloha!


Ps. I am thankful for the Fall and the pretty colors
I am thankful for the Daniel in this picture
and I am thankful for Natalie for taking this picture!

5 comments:

  1. When we were in Provo, we ALWAYS used Ray's for car stuff! He's the best. Super nice and honest! It's so rare to find such a great mechanic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you are my brit my brown sugar! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'm thankful for this post! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aloha! Was your invention taco soup? I kind of got that impression from the ordering of your list. I don't think that was the Chinese, I believe it was the Mexicans. ;o

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wally - I was going to invent ice inserts to go in your shoes so it prevents inflammation for people with the dreaded plantar fasciitis (unfortunately me....but it is not full blown luckily) - so I was all excited and then I googled it and the picture of the insoles is what you can order from China - so they might receive my business soon - and a letter saying they ripped off my idea ;)

    ReplyDelete